Friday, October 16, 2009

Open Your Eyes, See the Sunrise.

"Open Your eyes, See the Sunrise."   - Steve Powers, Artist

That was the first one I saw last night while traveling on the El heading toward center city Philadelphia. Then just as I was about to pass it, I saw the simple blue and yellow depiction of a rising sun, on the wall below the words.

I am referring to one of Philadelphia's newest murals, one of the many "Love Letters" that are being painted on the walls of the buildings along the route of the Market-Frankford El. I had read about the project some months ago, but since I don't ride the El all that often, I hadn't seen it yet and had forgotten. What a nice little surprise treat it was for me to find them as I looked out the window at the rooftops. Searching for the next one became a bit of a game that ended sadly when the train descended to the underground section of track.

But until then, I caught glimpses of bright yellows, reds, blues, and greens, dotting the usually grey-brown colors of city buildings. The short little messages made me smile and wonder.

I found a link to a newspaper article about the project and posted it on my face book wall. Click here to check it out.

I found another article about it too. This one (Click here to read it) has a lot of quotes from the artist and tells a little more of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your three cents. (Inflation, you know.)