I haven't done much new artwork the past week or so due to the holiday activities and family stuff. I spent much of New Year's Day in front of the TV, which is not like me, but I was in the mood to hear some string bands! (I was also trying to rest up a bit to get rid of a cold.)
I always say that my dream is to live in the mountains or out in the country some day. Until I do, being close enough to the Philadelphia area to catch the Mummers Parade on New Years Day sure is nice! Every year I wish I could make it down to center city Philly to watch the Mummer's parade in person, and every year, I don't seem to manage it! I think the last time I attended the Mummer's Parade, my husband and I took our 19-year-old son. He was about a year-and-a-half old then! After that, since I kept having kids, I guess it just got harder and harder to manage it! I'm thankful there's always the TV version option available to me.
Maybe next year I'll get down there!
Here's one of the cyanotypes I made during the pre-Christmas crazy days. I did manage to make a few while I was working on my 2007 Christmas card cyanotype (see entry below). This was created by a similar process except that the starting point of this image was a photograph I took during a camping trip, not a drawing.
First, I shot the photo back in October. Then I changed the color photo to black-and-white in PhotoShop and printed the photo on paper, adjusting the size so that I could work fairly small. (The actual size of this image is 4 inches tall and 5.5 inches wide.) I then took a piece of clear acetate, the kind made especially for printing transparencies on an inkjet printer, laid it onto the print of my photograph, and made marks on the acetate with a combination of pens (gel pens, fine point sharpie, and a black Faber-Castell Pitt pen) covering up the lighter areas of the image and leaving clear the areas that I wanted to end up dark blue. That became my negative which I used to expose the cyanotype.
The image you see here was cropped in PhotoShop, but for the original, I created a mask around the edges in order to end up with nice sharp. clean edges showing white paper. The mask didn't shut out the light entirely though, so before exposing again I will make a better mask. I plan to make some more prints of this image when I get the time.
There's one thing I've learned about making cyanotypes in the winter... The exposure times really do change due to the further distance of the sun to the earth! They are much longer than they were in those hot summer days when the sun was closer. (I can't wait till spring!) What used to take 5 to 7 minutes, now took up to 30 minutes or more.