Saturday, June 27, 2015

Orchid Fun!

The Last Orchid
ORCHID FUN TODAY!

'Tis a chilly, rainy, dreary kinda day here in my part of Pennsylvania. I should be tackling my usual chores at the house, but that muse in my head just would not leave me alone. I just had to paint today!

So I listened to that voice in my head. I opened my watercolor palette, squirted out some new color, broke out the brushes and pulled out a little mini sheet of paper, (I had previously torn a few full sheets down into - roughly - 5x7"s.)

The image you see here is the result. It is a little 6 x 3.5-inch painting on Arches hot press watercolor paper. Ever since I had been given a gift of this little orchid plant several weeks ago, I had been itching to paint it, but never seemed to manage grabbing the time.

Last weekend my sister Liz and I attended a wonderful Gestural Florals watercolor workshop in Alexandria, Virginia, (thank you, sisters!) and this little painting shows the influence I gleaned from Jacqueline Saunders, the instructor.. (Or, I should say I soaked it up.) Like a sponge I was, chomping at the bit to soak in what she had to offer, then to jump in and see what my brush could do.

I came away from that workshop with several fun little studies, some not as successful as others, which is how it goes with many of us. But I feel like there are many yet-to-be-painted watercolors trapped inside me, just waiting to emerge, using the tips I learned from Jacqueline.

Although I have been focusing on acrylic painting for several years now, lately I have been taking a break form them in order to play around with watercolors more. I am lovin' it! So, I thought I would try for a painting a week. What do you think? Would you like to see more?

Let me know by leaving a comment below.

Image: (C) 2015 Jeanne Guerin-Daley All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your three cents. (Inflation, you know.)