Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Do You Use Google Docs?

Some time ago, when my desktop computer was down, awaiting my computer expert son to fix the spyware or whatever was on it, I bought a relatively inexpensive little netbook, because I needed to stay connected to the Internet, email,... (geez, it's amazing how much a part of my life computers have become just in the last couple years!)

Anyway, MS Word software was installed on my desktop. It wasn't on my Netbook. I was not about to go out and buy another expensive license for a temporary situation, so I started to make use of Google Docs when I needed to create a word processor document.*

I already had a Google account (this blog is based on Google's Blogger.com), so all I had to do was sign in and look for "docs" among their choices. If you haven't yet used it you may want to try. One nice thing about using Google Docs is that you can access them from whichever computer on which you are working: not just from your home computer. For some people that can be a helpful feature.

Anyway, I say all this because I just read a little article about how Google Docs is getting a facelift.
Here is a link to it if you care to read it.
http://www.informationweek.com/news/internet/google/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=229200119&cid=nl_IW_smb_2011-02-01_html

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
 *Actually I did have another choice that my son told me about, but it took me a long time to finally get around to acting upon: it's an open source (read: free) software called Openoffice. I now have begun using it and I really like it; it's very similar to MS Word, so it was easy to just dive in and start working with it without dealing with a big learning curve.

Anyone can download open office for free from this site:
http://download.openoffice.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your three cents. (Inflation, you know.)