Wednesday, April 30, 2008

"The Gift Of Art" at Viking Culinary Arts Center, Bryn Mawr, PA

For the past couple days I've been busy matting and framing three pieces for the ARTsisters group exhibit at Viking Culinary Arts Center . It was my first time using my new Logan mat cutter (Model 301-s Compact) and it took quite awhile for me to learn how to properly make triple layer mats.
I had to miss a town meeting regarding improved recycling that I had wanted to attend, and still, I was up until 2:30 AM Monday evening. But I finally completed my task and just about one hour before hanging deadline on Tuesday, I was finally finished and pleased with the results.
But it sure took awhile for me to get the hang of it. Partly, it just takes practice. I found that the more I practiced using the two blades (one for straight cuts and one for beveled edges), the better and smoother I cut. After having used a little portable cutter that cuts along your hand-held T-square, this was a great improvement!

If you're an artist who is considering buying a mat cutter, I'd recommend this model, although there was one very important imperfection with this one. I found that the measurement guide was off by one-sixteenth of an inch. That led to some frustrating moments and wasted boards. I kept remeasuring things, thinking it was a math mistake on my part. I finally figured it out that it was simply that the sticker with the measurement increments printed on it must have been adhered to the machine in the wrong position. So I would just add 1/16" when cutting each border.

Since it was a kind of pricey item, (in the $100 range) that seems to be a pretty important mistake. I hope that the Logan company caught it before too many were produced. Then again, how would they know about it unless we users speak up about it! I think I'll contact them about it.

Anyway, I hope to see you this Friday at Viking!

Click here for First Friday details!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your three cents. (Inflation, you know.)