Saturday, October 13, 2007

Latest Artist Statement from Jeanne Guerin-Daley

I just read a blog entry on artbizblog.com that got me thinking that updating my artist statement might be timely. To reflect my changing art activities of late, I wrote an updated statement to explain what I'm all about. Please feel free to comment at the end of this post! (Thanks for the tips, Alyson!)


Jeanne Guerin-Daley’s Artist’s Statement ~~~ Fall of 2007

Harry Potter (...er, that is, the author, J.K. Rowling), has made our world a little more magical. That is my intent as well. I strive to add some magic to our lives through art because life is too short to be anything less!

I paint to express a deep appreciation of the wonders in our world, to spread Nature’s beauty, to bring the outdoors in, and to attempt to re-create the feeling of awe one has in observing nature. When I paint I feel an energy that comes from no other activity. It invigorates me to feel the power to create something new, something that evokes an emotion in the viewer, or gives a sense of magic or mystery.

Currently I am dividing my time between painting custom murals and creating smaller sized works that portray and celebrate images from nature. These smaller works are created in a variety of media. In addition to acrylic paints, I am experimenting with pastels, water-color pencils and a photographic process called cyanotypes. The cyanotypes allow me to get out into the garden and get up close and personal with nature, which feeds my soul immensely. I have been using real parts of nature to create the prints. It's autumn now and the summer foliage is starting to disappear so I have been scrambling to make use of the garden images as much as I can.

Since childhood, I have been a nature and animal lover. I was always fascinated and intrigued by the changing colors of fall leaves, the foggy sight of faraway mountains, the immense variety of plants and creatures on this earth. With my paintings, drawings, (and my newly-found medium of cyanotypes) I try to capture that awe and inspiration that I feel, so that others too, may feel it. I believe it's a feeling that is best when shared.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your three cents. (Inflation, you know.)