Monday, June 27, 2011

Gardening Day

Played in the dirt yesterday.
Weeding and planting in the vegetable garden mostly.
I must have pulled over a thousand little baby morning glories! They are beautiful, but a bit too prolific in the veggie garden!

I had tried to grow pepper plants from seed and when nothing came up but weeds, it was time to search for a place that was still selling them (getting a bit late in the season.)
Taddeo's came through for me! I bought a few hot peppers and two kinds of sweet bell peppers, one green and one is purple! That should make for some colorful salsa, to be sure!

I bought three cantelope plants to try. (We've never grown them before.)
We are also growing tomatoes, kale, lettuce, spinach, garlic, cukes, snow peas, and several varieties of beans. Oh, and lots more weeds too!

Did you know about purslane? This is a weed that grows freely around here. But I found that it is edible PLUS very good for you. Lots of beta carotene, and omega 3 fatty acids... My kids think I'm a nut, but I harvest away and keep trying new ways to eat it. A quick saute with olive oil, garlic, some fresh mint and lemon balm was tasty. More info here:
http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Plants.Folder/Purslane.html
Happy picking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your three cents. (Inflation, you know.)