Saturday, May 14, 2011

Decorated bookcase for Wetherill School Gala

So, as if I didn't already have enough to do....
I found myself agreeing to paint a bookcase for a school's fundraiser!

Finished book case (without shelves)-Top+Front view

What is it they say? You want something done, give it to a busy person?

It was a fun project and I'm glad I made time for it. The plan was for me to paint it, then the Wetherill School would auction it off at the Gala.

I started with an unfinished wood bookcase which they supplied and delivered to me. With the help of some younger painters I live with (two of my sons,...thanks, boys!) a first primer coat in white was applied.
Then a first coat of blue glossy enamel.
Such a dark color, being painted over bright white, I knew it would need more than one coat. As it turned out, it needed FOUR COATS before it looked OK!

See the streaks on back? More coats needed here.


Then the fun began. The theme was "Out of this world" so I painted it with things like sun, moon, stars. and planets.

Finished moon side
Moon side-sketched in...

 That white curved line below the moon was to be the lower end of a rainbow that wrapped around the back. I decided to nix the rainbow idea. (Not particularly "out-of-this-world")


On the underside of the top surface of the bookcase, I painted small white dots in such a way to depict some of the constellations. (Forgot to tell that to the folks who were involved with the gala. Maybe they can have the winner contact me so I can tell them which constellations their kids should be looking for! Can you guess by looking at the picture?)
In progress puic of constellations




 It was great fun.


Anyone else need a piece of furniture painted special? Call me!


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your three cents. (Inflation, you know.)