Friday, January 08, 2010

Odilon Redon and the Two Halves of our Brains

I was taking a much needed mini-break from some drudgery-type work that I must do and I found an interesting article on wetcanvas.com.

It was a little lesson on how to do a pastel painting. He used a portrait which was done by the French painter, Odilon Redon. His name was mentioned at a recent critique which I attended. One of my fellow ARTsisters suggested I study his work since my recent pastels had similar qualities. We both seem to be interested in magical environments and images which contain mystery and fantasy.
The article went through some basic steps one could follow to create a pastel portrait similar to his. Then, the author began to discuss in depth the concept of dealing with the right and left hemispheres of our brains. Quite interesting indeed! If you want to read it, here is a link.

I had bought a book many years ago called "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain." Back then I was knee deep in diapers and toddler toys, and I didn't have the time nor the energy to read it. Unfortunately I have since misplaced it, so I will have to wait even longer to read it. But it will stay on my "want to read someday" list of books!

And now I must get back to my drudgery work!
How about you? Read any good books lately? Please share your insights!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your three cents. (Inflation, you know.)